Cobalt is an international airline with its principal place of business in Cyprus. It is a flexible “next-generation” airline, offering both a seat-only economy product and a full-service business product, which are designed to deliver a better guest experience than European legacy carriers.
The challenge was to launch a campaign to promote the seasonal Summer Sale, a 4-day sale of 3,000 tickets, and get as many tickets booked through the website as possible during a very limited amount of time, and without any pre-sale announcements.
Go big or go home! Due to the fact that the sale only lasted for a short period (4-days), we took advantage of as many channels as possible to reach the maximum number of people. We selected 4 top destinations and created separate ads for those, to show more specified prices and entice users who were particularly interested in those destinations.
1) Ad Customisers - we added customised text to our normal Search campaigns that counted down the days of the sale, creating a sense of urgency! This also helped raise awareness that the sale was happening NOW.
2) Display Ads - creative, eye-catching HTML5 Banners and Responsive ads that urged users to click to the sale landing page for a conversion! To get an idea of the amount of work we did, we created 10 Display campaigns, targeted 4 countries, used different ad copy based on language, and created 76 ads in total.
3) YouTube Ads - a creative, animated video with music was used to reach people while they are watching videos or listening to music on YouTube. It’s definitely worth mentioning that our videos got 646,670 views and 1,040 clicks in just 4 days!
4) Social Media Ads - several different ad types, including canvas, static, and animated, with a creative design to reach people on social.
of Total Sale Revenue came from ads resulting in a 2245.83% Return on Ad Spend
increase in website traffic with a 20% increase in revenue
Google Search Campaigns in Cyprus - Ad Spend during the Early Summer Sale period
WHY IT WORKED
We were able to reach a large audience through many different communication channels and customer touchpoints. Our message was clear and straight-to-the-point. The urgency was communicated through the copy and the designs were fun and summery, getting people in the mood to travel!
Additionally, our creative approach involved using many different ad types to raise awareness about the sale and the urgency of booking. By using many different creative forms and communication channels, viewers did not experience ad fatigue. Specifically:
1) Ad Customisers worked well considering the results from our Search Campaigns. More specific, the ads with customisers resulted to 948 conversions at a cost of just €3.07 per conversion.
2) Display Ads proved to be a viable part of our advertising, considering how many assisted conversions we had. Part of our strategy is to always have a main traffic source (usually the one with the lowest cost), and use retargeting lists to get those people back and converting.
We continually optimised the ads throughout the campaign by analysing the audience and targeting to adjust where we saw opportunities to lower our Reach, CPC, and CPA.